Friday, July 10, 2020

DIY tiny polymer clay doll beads: part II

After my first try with Snow White and seven dwarfs my next adventure included revisiting an old idea - making Little Red Riding Hood and her grandma. I had incredible luck while digging through a pile of metal charms in a craft shop a few years back to find incredible bras wolf pendants. They were sitting in a drawer for a few months, since I did not really have an idea what exactly I wanted to make with them, and then it dawned on me that they would look great as brooches. It took some time to manage soldering brooch clasp to a brass surface, but in the end it looked great, and most importantly was very firm! Since these dolls are very small (less than half an inch) the best result was achieved by making them in the style of traditional Russian (matryoshka) dolls. I will once again highlight that key to successfully represent a character via this little dolls is to include just the right amount of details and not "overwhelm" the tiny surface.  This time I used basic white FIMO to make the dolls and painted the faces with skin colored acrylic paint, to see if it would make a big difference in painting small details on the face comparing to just using skin colored base like with the Snow White. It did not make a big difference in how hard it was to achieve this amount of details, the only disadvantage was making the process about half an hour longer, since I had to wait for the surface to be completely dry before painting faces. It was also a bit more pressure, since I knew if i made a mistake, I would have to sand off a whole area where the face is and start again. Luckily, that did not happen, and I was very pleased with the end result.



This brooch is available in my Etsy store, and if you would like to own this unique little piece of art, make sure to use a special code I created (look to the right navbar!) to ensure 10% off in addition to free worldwide shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment